Wednesday, October 1, 2014

This App Will Tell You The BEST Time to Take Photos

shutterstock_170815868


Not being a morning person whatsoever and working full time in addition to blogging, I spend most of my weekdays fighting the rush hour crush on the subway, racing against light and time to get home for a quick 20-30 minute photo shoot to capture my personal style before the sun goes down. It’s never quite predictable as to how much time I may have left to shoot, and several times I’ve gone inside my apartment to drop my bags and grab my camera only to reemerge outside and glumly realize that I’ve lost my tiny window of good natural light. Ugh!


This past week, I tried the free Sunrise Sunset Lite App (available for Apple devices), which uses GPS to track your location and tell you the sunrise and sunset, along with when the dawn begins, and when dusk officially settles in.  If you are planning to take some photos outside in, say, five days from now, you can also scroll ahead or set the date to find out how much time you may have until the sun goes down. Through testing it out, it tends to be pretty accurate, capturing the right time or being within a minute or two the actual sunset.


Even though it may be obvious when the sun is starting to fade, I feel that it’s made me quite a bit more realistic about how much I can squeeze in post-work, and I have a better grip on consistently finding the best light for my photos.



I’m always skeptical to pay for an app unless I’m sure I will use it a lot, so if you love the free version, the standard edition (99 cents)  let’s so save your location and search others, helpful if you are planning an trip somewhere and plan to take photos there, while the Sunrise Sunset Pro ($1.99 ) is the upgrade I would put my money on, as it includes everything else mentioned, plus it shares the sun’s angle, tilt, position throughout the day via a compass so you can really pinpoint where it will be and when. There are other apps that do just this feature, and cost a lot more, so this one may be a great way to see if you find it to be helpful. Since there isn’t an app that can make the sun stick around longer or get me out of work earlier, I find the Sunrise Sunset one one to be the next best thing.


What apps have you found to be helpful for taking blog-related photos outdoors?


[Image credit: Shutterstock.com]







This App Will Tell You The BEST Time to Take Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment